Charred Cabbage

Cabbage was abundant and cheap recently because of St.Patrick's Day. So I found myself with a lot of it to somehow make enjoyable. Normally I'll just use it raw. But I've been watching this show from the UK. Masterchef Professionals UK Season 9 and on it one of the chefs did roasted cabbage.

He quartered the head, drizzled it with olive oil, seasoned and roasted it on a sheet pan in a pretty hot oven. It sounded like a brilliant idea, so I thought I'd give it a try. For the sake of having more charred bits of cabbage I decided to roughly chop it first.

I then tossed it with some olive oil, salt, pepper and paprika. Into a 450 F oven on a rack one step up from the bottom it went.

The first time I tried it I set the timer for 10 minutes. It wasn't really browned much at that point. So stir and return to oven. I let it cook another 7 minutes and it was pretty nicely done. Not every piece with be browned. Some will be really darker, others golden and still more just wilted. It's actually a nice combo of textures and flavors. The darker bits are very nutty.

I love this stuff on sandwiches. I haven't been using cheese on my sandwiches lately and this really fills that void. The less cooked pieces are almost creamy in texture. The darker pieces have a nice carmelized, nuttiness that ranges from mild to deep.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vegan Spicy Curry Vinaigrette Recipe

Hummus Mac and Cheese

More Vegan Rice Mixes